Saturday, January 22, 2011

8 BAR SOAP RECIPE

Here is a recipe for 8 bars of soap. I love it because you can try something new and don't have a whole bunch. I have tried this the bars on my header photo are made from the recipe. Note you might get more or less depending on what size mold you use.

You can switch the water for milk. If you do use milk I put my milk in the blender and added the  lye well blending my mixture. The soap stayed a nice white color.This way the milk did not curdle or turn orange when adding lye.

I get my oils and solids to temp then do my lye.  Usally your lye will be right temp because the liquid is cold. If your lye goes below 110% just sit it in some hot water to get it up to right temp.
 
When soap traces it will look like pudding that is getting thick. It don't always leave a trail on top of soap if you drizzle some on. If you do not think your soap is tracing after stirring for 30 minutes just pour in molds it will be fine.

I let my soap sit in molds only 24 hours.

Please when making any soap wear goggles, gloves and a apron of some sort.

After all that is said here is the recipe.

1 pound lard or shortening
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp cocoa butter
1. cup water or milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp of lye
fragrance of choice
Take water or milk and freeze until slushy. Once slushy add your lye slowly to liquid. Set aside get solids and oils to 110%. Once the lye and oil mixture is at 110% add the lye to oils slowly. Stir until trace then add your fragrance and pour in to molds. Allow to sit in molds for 2 days then cure for 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment